Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Rest In Peace, Nellie

Our little Nellie, with us for only a handful of weeks, whose spirit was one of such happiness and wonder, passed away under anesthesia this afternoon. Her pre-surgery blood work had been perfect, she was healthy and bouncy, and yet she suffered cardiac arrest while under for a routine spay and dental. The vets tried everything they could to get her back, but she passed away anyway. Needless to say, we are devastated, as we loved Nellie as our own. Our rescued dogs and cats are our family, a piece of our hearts, and when we lose one of them, especially one as unexpected as this one, it's crushing.

Nellie was lucky to have spent the last few weeks knowing the love and joy of being part of a family, and Nellie's foster family was going to adopt her surgery was complete. The sadness is overwhelming. Please say a prayer for Nellie and her foster family. Though rescue work is often rewarding, there is heartbreak along the way as well. This is one of those times.

Godspeed, Nellie. We will miss you, and see you at the Rainbow Bridge. Go find Lady, Natalie, Omar, and all the others who have gone before you at the Cookie Tree. They're waiting for you.

I’ve gone somewhere, not far away,
a place with no more pain
There’s butterflies and big blue skies
and shelter from the rain.
My life with you was heavenly
and in the end you’ll see,
That I was meant to be with you
for all eternity.
You’ll see me in a starry night
when all the world’s asleep,
I’ll be here with you always
my memory you’ll keep.
So don’t be sad that I am gone
for really I am HERE,
Just look beyond the obvious
and don’t shed one more tear.
Thank you so for loving me
I’ll love you always too,
My life here on this earth is done
so now I’ll wait for you.
author
Holly Mastromatto '06

No comments:

Post a Comment